Saturday, March 10, 2007

Joey Porter

Apparently, people read this thing, because I've had more than a few people ask me to weigh in on the Joey Porter situation. I'm wondering how this started, how people actually started reading the blog and checking it periodically to see if there were any updates. Then again, I really shouldn't argue. I should just roll with it.

So... I'm happy for him and I'm happy for the Steelers.

They didn't have to pay $4 million for a guy that was probably past his prime and didn't live up to his contract last year. They avoided the inevitable hold-out during training camp and the distractions that would cause with a new coach. Most importantly, they took a bold step in the new regime by announcing that no one, not even the great and almighty "Peazy" was untouchable.

In related news, they signed that Mahan guy from Tampa to keep Chukki Okobi on his toes. And that's a very good thing. I hope this new dude takes Okobi's job. I never understood why they kept Okobi around as long as they did. It almost seemed strange to read stories about him last August, but the funny part about that was that he needed to get injured for people to start talking about him.

I'm happy for Porter because he really didn't have a future in Pittsburgh. Last season was last season and a lot of his ineffectiveness could probably be attributed to the fact that the team collectively sucked a giant testicle. Then again, he really seemed to be slipping up. He played well in the prime time games (especially the opener against the Dolphins - think that's a coincidence? Well, it probably is) and didn't do much of anything in the games that fell on a Sunday afternoon.

He got his last, big contract. While he'll never see all of the $32 million he signed for (never believe NFL contract numbers - Jerry Rice signed a 6 year, $30 million deal with Oakland after he turned 40 and was cut before the next season started), he still has $20 million in guaranteed money. And that's remarkable for a 30 year-old linebacker that's really a system guy. Granted, Dom Capers is on that staff and he'll probably find the best way to take advantage of Porter's skill set, but he'll never be the player he was from 2001-2005. He still cashed in, though, and that's admirable. Take the money and run, Joey. It's the last big contract you'll ever see. I'm happy for you. Seriously. Spend wisely.

In all of this, I really only feel bad for the Dolphins. I think that their linebacking corps has an average age of death. Jason Taylor (even though he's the reigning Defensive MVP) and Zach Thomas are no longer the players they once were. And neither is Porter. And now they're 3/4 of a team's linebackers. Wow. The Dolphins are gonna suck next year.

There have only been two guys that got away that I feel the Steelers missed on: Rod Woodson and John Jackson. And yes, I felt like they let those two guys get away right after they left, not several years later when I had the benefit of hindsight. Jackson is proof of that. He didn't really do anything in Jacksonville after he left, but I didn't want to see him go. We've been trying to fill the void he left behind at right tackle ever since.

And Max Starks ain't comin' back, by the way. If he doesn't get benched and replaced this season, he'll hit the free agent market next season. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Given the fact that free agency has been around 15 years and there have only been two guys that were the "one that got away," I'd say that's a pretty damn good track record. I'm inclined to trust the Steelers. Especially in this situation. Because I think he needed to go.

Tomlin was just the guy to do it, too. Whisenhunt and Grimm might have let him go, but Cowher never would have. That's one of the reasons I think the Steelers went outside the organization for their head coach. A lot of tough decisions needed to be made the next two years and this was only one of them.

Hang on. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure that Porter was only due to make $2.5 million, making the Steelers complete morons for not re-signing him.

    Of course, if anyone can rebuild a linebacking core through late-round draft choices, it's Bill Cow-- whoops, I guess that doesn't work either.

    ReplyDelete