Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Free Agency Thoughts

Well, while I'm at it, I might as well sound off on a few things in free agency...

  1. Nate Washington got Randle-El money. Good for him. And good luck to the Titans. I think that makes five out of six receivers on their roster that are fast, can't catch a lick, and don't go up for the ball. They're definitely building something there.
  2. The Steelers are paying Max Starks $8.5 million, Willie Colon $2.5 million, and signed Chris Kemoeatu to a $20 million contract. They just spent $31 million to retain the worst offensive line ever to play in the Super Bowl (which we won, btw). Way to go. Good move.
  3. Bryant McFadden is still available. I know they have to work out an extension with James Harrison (and they should), but they gotta be able to clear some room somewhere, right? Ask someone to take a pay cut? Hines Ward is on the books for $7.8 million for 2009. You're telling me he's worth that? Roethlisberger counts $13.2 million. Then again, if we asked him to take a pay cut, he might say something like, "Sure, no problem. Let me see what I have in my wallet. Oooops! I moved my wallet to my jacket pocket on account of the fact that I couldn't fit my hand into my back pocket with these two Super Bowl rings in the way..." So, maybe don't ask Ben to give something back.
  4. I've seen conflicting numbers on the Internet, but I heard from a source I trust that we're currently $8.9 million under the cap. That may seem like a lot, but we need $7.5 million to sign rookies and there are always some guys that get signed during training camp and during the season... we may not be far enough under to finish out the season.
  5. Yet the Redskins had enough money left to sign Dante Hall to a $54 million contract and Albert Haynesworth to a $100 million contract. And they do that every year. I don't get it.
  6. I'm glad TJ Houshmanzedah got his big contract. I'm even happier now that he's out of the division.
  7. Ditto Bart Scott.
  8. Now if only Ray Lewis and Ed Reed would leave...

No comments:

Post a Comment