Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Steelers-Hated Ravens Review

That was a tough, hard-fought win and a tremendous performance by Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers are now firmly in the driver's seat in the division. It would not take an epic collapse for them to lose that position, but they would need to perform well below expectations.

The game was what it was and I'm glad it's over and the Steelers won. I don't want to get caught up in penalty and fine controversy. I just want to move on with the balance of the season. Looking ahead, here's what I see...
  1. The loss of Heath Miller is huge. After seeing that hit and seeing him go off the field, I would be shocked if he plays in either of the next two games. With Matt Spaeth also hurt, that leaves only David Johnson. Well, I know he wears number 85 and that his last name is Johnson and I think his first name is David... but the fact that I would need to Google it to be sure is proof enough that the tight end position is unsettled to say the least. I want Heath to come back, but I'm concerned about his health. That was a rough hit. I really just hope that he is OK and that Spaeth comes back soon. Losing Heath gives the Steelers fewer options in the passing game and fewer options in terms of personnel grouping. That's a big hit to the offense, but they should be fine if Roethlisberger is healthy and the receivers stop dropping passes on third down (BIG issue on Sunday night).
  2. The loss of Vulva is almost as huge. The Steelers signed Jeremy Kapinos of Penn State fame, but I'm still very concerned. Having Bitch Merger and The Guy Who Replaced Bitch Merger and Was Worse (Paul Edinger? Maybe? Again, if I have to Google it, it's a bad sign) in 2008 really set the team back. That was an epic defense. The Steelers have a very good defense in 2010, but they're not epic. I'm not sure that they can overcome marginal punting without an epic defense and with an offense that still seems to be trying to find its sea legs.
  3. Although I don't wish injuries on anyone, I hope Roethlisberger's foot stays kinda broken. He actually threw the ball away when he was supposed to on Sunday night instead of trying to "create" and it worked out great for everyone. So, even when the foot is healed, I would be in favor of Roethlisberger throwing a few more passes away when nothing is there.
  4. Flozell Adams? Maybe not such a huge loss. I always said that I hoped he'd get seriously hurt -- it wasn't a matter of if, but only when -- when the Steelers still had time to compensate. It's not like he's an all-world guy. Trai Essex looked comfortable enough and played well enough after Adams left the field and went to the locker room. Maybe just let him stay there, even if Adams is healthy enough to come back.
  5. I keep thinking about what this offense would look like if Santonio was still on the team. They'd be pretty awesome, right?
  6. Mike Wallace needs to catch more screens. Defenses are playing about 70 yards off the line of scrimmage to his side of the field. He's so damn fast, he's gotta bust one of those for a touchdown, right? Even if he only averages 15 or so yards a reception, cornerbacks will start to creep up on the line and that will open things up deep.
  7. The Steelers need to continue to unleash hell in December. They need to keep working to get better. If they can fix some issues, they can get good enough to get lucky and steal a Super Bowl like they did in 2008. If someone, anyone at all, please do it, can knock the Patriots out, the field for the post season appears to be wide open. With the possibility of a bye week and at least one home playoff game, I like those odds. But, really, that's only if someone knocks New England out. They're the 800 pound gorilla in the AFC bracket as long as Tom Brady is alive.
  8. This could be their last chance for a while. Even if there's a 2011 season -- and Weidman and I agree that there will not be, but more on this when I'm able to write it up -- Harrison and Smith might retire. Possibly Hines if the Steelers win another championship, as well as Farrior, maybe Foote, possibly Keisel. If there is no 2011 season, I think all those guys retire and put the Steelers firmly in rebuilding mode. Maybe Hampton retires as well. The point is that this is probably this team's last run, so they better make it count.
I think 12-4 and the #2 seed are definite possibilities, but I still have this lingering doubt from the great collapse of 2009. I hope I am just being paranoid.

1 comment:

  1. Jesus...I think I realized that all of those players individually might retire, but I never did the math of them all together before. Day-um...

    ReplyDelete