Monday, August 06, 2007

How 'Bout That Game?

It seems to me that Steeler Nation is pretty football starved. I say this because four people either came up to me, e-mailed me, or sent me an Instant Message that basically said, "How 'bout that game?"

Well, I didn't see it. And I'm fine with that. The NFL Network is a bunch of commies and they should rot in hell, but I'm fine with that. Not like the game could've been on ESPN or anything so that I could catch it on the plane.

But, to hear most folks tell it, our Steelers are on their way to a 24-0 run (five pre-season games, sixteen regular season, three playoff games including the Super Bowl). From all accounts, they looked real good and Carey Davis is the next Terrell Davis. Even Weidman, who has a unique ability to see the subtle shades of grey in a silver-lined cloud, said they looked pretty good. He did add, though, that these were the Saints.

And, well, they were. And still are, I would assume. Their first string defense isn't any good, so that tells you how good their second and third string guys are. After Ben and the first string scored on their first (and only possession), it was up to the second string and third string to pile on and make sure that the Mike Tomlin area got off to a good start.

Really, though, I'm going to need to see how they fare against a decent defense (like the one Green Bay has) and how the defense does against a good offense (or at least someone near the quality of New Orleans on that side of the ball for more than three minutes). For the season, the defense isn't going to continue to be this good, and the offense isn't as likely to be as consistent.

When the offense isn't consistent, The Supulverizer (Danny Vulva's new nickname, courtesty of Weidman - neither of us thought that Danny Vulva was a good name for him after we saw this) will come to the rescue.

I'm sad that I wasn't able to see The Supulverizer kick the ball and kick hell out of New Orleans' punt returner.

There will be time for that later, though. Like during the regular season. And during the next three pre-season games, where the starters are more likely to play at least a quarter. There will be time for that during the playoffs (a lock, since our scrubs beat their scrubs 13-7).

************I noticed that I never closed the asterisk from yesterday*******************

The Five Most Painful Sports Events to Watch list did not golf, tennis, or soccer for several good reasons. I don't understand any of them and that is why it's painful for me to watch them. People who don't understand football don't like it as much as people who do. People who don't get baseball don't see the point.

I'm not going to say it's painful to watch them because I know people that watch golf, tennis, and soccer and enjoy them. If you know what the hell is going on (like why the average soccer player falls down and writhes for ten minutes when he grazes another player), most sports are more enjoyable.

The Pain List was all about sports that I understand but are painful to watch for other reasons. Women's sports because I understand how the game in question is supposed to be played and it's painful to watch sports being played so poorly. Before anyone comes to me with the, "Female athletes have a better understanding of the fundamentals," argument, I am going to say this: That's all they have.

Female basketball players are very good at passing because they all know they can't shoot worth a damn - they're good at rebounding for the same reason. Female softball players are very good at backing up a play - this is a fundamental - but it's a fundamental that only comes into play when someone else does something wrong.

But, I've watched enough of both of these sports to know that they're painful, so they must have been the least painful option out there. I just prefer to watch men play sports - they're better at them and it's more entertaining to watch.

I'm sure everyone understands the other two items on the Pain List.

No comments:

Post a Comment