Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Steelers vs. Browns Preview

So, I took a look at my predictions thus far this season and I can't believe how wrong I was. I have to say that I'm not sure why anyone reads this blog at this point, aside from the occasional Hillary Clinton joke.

For this week, I can honestly say two things: The Steelers are better than their record and the Browns (if possible) are worse than their record.

Cleveland sucks. It has been documented across numerous sources. The Steelers, aside from special teams struggles, fourth quarter defensive issues, and red zone problems on both sides of the ball, do not suck. It has been documented... well, mostly by me. I guess I'm the one that's still stupid enough to have faith.

If this game was played by a Madden simulator, we'd win 99.44 percent of the time. This Thursday? I don't know. I really don't know. I knew we'd beat the Chiefs. I knew we'd beat the Raiders. And we didn't.

So... reasons that Cleveland will win, since the reasons the Steelers will win are obvious (more talented, more to play for, have won the last 11):
  1. William Gay sucks and is hurt.
  2. Ike Taylor may be benched.
  3. This means we'll be starting two rookies at cornerback, included the stone-handed Joe Burnett (who I still am convinced will be awesome).
  4. This their Super Bowl, as we're the wounded champs, they're the prohibitive underdog, they're at home, it's in prime time, and this "rivalry" means waaaaaaaaaaay more to them than it does to us.
  5. Their head coach (who they may possibly hate, but desperate situations have the effect of bringing out the best in people) may have his job on the line.
  6. Brady Quinn doesn't know his future and can cement it with a huge upset victory.
  7. Josh Cribbs.
  8. Every scrub on the team can say, "Hey, we went 2-14, but at least we beat the defending champs."
  9. We're reeling balls and may not be able to beat a Pop Warner squad at this point.
  10. I mentioned that this game is in prime time and is the one remaining game for most of these guys to step up and get noticed by a good team, right? Well, if not, it's another reason.
Ways we win:
  1. Mike Tomlin actually has control of this team.
  2. The guys on this roster actually have some pride left.
  3. We take their best punch in the first half (and, trust me, it'll be a big one) and we come out swinging in the second half.
  4. We understand that our cornerbacks are weak and blitz the tits off Brady Quinn.
Tallying things up, that's four reasons we win and ten reasons they win.

Therefore...

Prediction:

Browns 27, Steelers 24 (popular final, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment