Monday, September 13, 2010

Steelers-Falcons Review

I can say this with 100 percent certainty and honesty: A win is a win. That's what matters. The Steelers won, they did not lose, and that is ultimately what we need to cling to at this point in the season.

I think Mike Tomlin said it best when he said, "We got some things to work on, absolutely, like all 31 other teams do. But we get to do it while we’re 1-0."

I was happy that the defense stepped up in the fourth quarter, that Troy made a big play when the defense needed a big play, and the defense stood tall in overtime, getting the ball back right away with a short field.

I thought Vulva kicked well and often turned the field position battle back on the Falcons. I thought Jeff Reed certainly could've made that game-winning field goal at the end of regulation, but you can't really knock him for barely missing that 55-yarder in the first half. As a matter of fact, I'd be surprised if he missed two kicks total the rest of the season -- he only missed three all of last season -- or, if nothing else, I don't think he'll miss two in a game.

The big story was the coverage units on special teams. Vulva and Reed can kick the ball as hard as they like. If the coverage unit doesn't get down there and make the tackle, it doesn't matter how far they kick it. I don't think we'll have another year like last year where the Steelers gave up 114 kick and punt returns for touchdowns. They look stronger this year, more organized, and they have more quality players covering kicks. I don't think it'll be a huge strength of the team, but it will at least be a strength, which is better than a weakness.

I was actually pretty happy with how the running game performed. I was very excited to see Ike Redman convert three out of four short yardage plays, which was a major weakness for the Steelers the past two seasons. Sure, Rashard Mendenhall only got to 120 yards because 50 of that came on one play, but he only had 22 carries. Take away that 50 yarder and he's still got 70 yards on 21 carries. After watching the Steelers for the past two seasons, I will take that.

Dennis Dixon still has to get more comfortable and the coaching staff needs to put him in a better position to succeed, but the good news is that he didn't play particularly well and the Steelers still won.

I would imagine they can't keep that up over the course of the next three games, but who knows? Even if they don't keep it up over the next three games, they only need to win one of those games to go 2-2 in the first four before Roethlisberger comes back.

I will take a 2-2 start so that we can officially start the season after the bye in Week 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment