Sunday, January 07, 2007

End of an Era

So, I started thinking that Cowher was going to leave around Tuesday or Wednesday, but I didn't post anything because I wanted to keep the post where I was in denial up as long as possible. To show the world that I'm an idiot. And, in my defense, I did say that I was probably the only idiot that believed he was saying. So there.

Since I had built myself up for it, it wasn't a collosal disappointment. Kinda like the fact that I stopped holding out hope for the Steelers making the playoffs when they started out 2-6.

However, it still sucks. But it's more weird than anything. I watched the Indy-KC game last night and thought, "Wow. We're not in the playoffs this year. That's weird." And then I thought, "Wow. Cowher's not going to be coaching the Steelers next year. That's weirder."

Us not making the playoffs is a seasonal thing. Cowher leaving is a permanent thing.

Whatever his reasons, I understand. If he wanted to spend more time with his family, I understand. If he wanted a bigger contract, I understand. Maybe he just wanted to take a year of paid vacation, watch some women's basketball (item #31,564,089 of "Things that I'd do if I had a year off," but I digress), and come back strong with a different team. Maybe he was just tired of coaching the Steelers. There was such a look of relief and accomplishment on his face when he was finally able to hand Dan Rooney that Lombardi Trophy. Maybe he felt he had accomplished all he had left to accomplish with this franchise.

I just wish he had let us know that in March of last year. I wish he had retired then and we could start re-building then. Fewer expectations going into the season, a coach that actually cared about the outcome of the game, etc. Wouldn't have stopped the turnovers necessarily (which is what really killed the team), but it would've made the season easier to swallow.

To replace Cowher, they're going to interview Russ Grimm, Ken Whisenhunt, Ron Rivera (defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears), and Cam Cameron (offensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers). If they're looking to hire an offensive coordinator, I hope they go with Cameron. Whisenhunt had a nice run towards the end of the 2005 season. He helped us win a Super Bowl. But, he's not ready to be a coach yet. Besides which, he'll probably get an offer from someone else.

I would prefer us to hire a defensive guy, but not if that means that LeBeau has to step down as defensive coordinator. And, I'd really like for us to hire Mike Singletary. He's smart, he's focused, and for being a great player, he's a hell of a teacher. Usually, people who were great players (Singletary is in the Hall of Fame) can't teach anything to current players, because everything they did just came naturally to them. Not so with Singletary. Watch the footage from last year's Senior Bowl and you'll see what I mean. Go to YouTube and search for Mike Singletary. Check out the first clip that shows up. Look at his eyes. Raise your hand if you want to see those eyes and that intensity on the Steelers sideline next year.

My hand is raised. But I need it to type.

While this may seem like the end of the world, keep in mind that the Rooneys have an exceptional track record for hiring the right guy. Given the stability of the organization and the talent we have in place, we've got the most attractive job in the NFL. Not just open jobs, any jobs. We'll get the guy that we want.

I just hope it's Singletary.

No comments:

Post a Comment