Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bill Cowher

A full Preview of the Cup Final is coming, but I wanted to post a couple of things real quick, because I feel these are things you, my loyal readers, need to know. Both of you.
  1. I was rooting for Chicago to win last night, but I'm actually glad that Detroit won. I think that we're stronger this year than we were last year. I think the fact that Malkin and Crosby are really coming into their own is going to help us out immeasurably. And, obviously, we learned a thing or about the Red Wings last year. They basically have the same team this year, so we'll be able to apply that knowledge. Plus which, there's a revenge factor and a Hossa factor, so there's that on top of that. But, they still scare the hell out of me.
  2. Everyone needs to lay off Bill Cowher. There are several reasons for this: First of all, it's hockey, not football. I could see people being upset if he jerked off the Edgar Allen Poe mascot before a Hated Ravens game (or whatever it is that they do). I could see it if he knelt down and kissed the star at halftime for a Cowboys game. But, I don't ever remember him being spotted at a Pens game when he was here. I don't remember him talking about it. I don't remember any reference to Bill Cowher being a rabid Penguins fan (or even a casual one) during his 15 years as Steelers coach. His life has been completely consumed by football for the past 40 years, so it doesn't surprise me in the least that he picked up hockey now that he has some spare time. Second of all, I know, he's from here. He should be a Pens fan. I get it. But, his life, his house, and his family are in North Carolina now. He went to NC State. His wife went there. His job's in New York, not in Pittsburgh. Speaking of that job he has... Third of all, he's no longer a coach. He's a TV Analyst. Now, more than ever, he's an entertainer. He needs to be in the public eye. No publicity is bad publicity. What could make more headlines than him ringing the bell or sounding the siren (or whatever it is they do there) for the team that's playing against his "hometown" team? At worst, it's him attention whoring. At best, it's him evolving as a person and saying, "Hey, I don't get checks from the Rooneys anymore. I'm going to do what I want to do." All that having been said, I'd be upset if Roethlisberger and Keisel, and some of the current Steelers that have been regular attendees at Pens games retired and Keisel ended up dropping a bunch of debris on some unsuspecting settlers at an Avalanche game (or whatever it is they do there). That's because they showed up to those games under the pretense of being fans. If they were to suddenly switch sides, then it would have been a publicity stunt all along.

Also: LET'S GO PENS!

No comments:

Post a Comment