Sunday, May 17, 2009

Penguins-Hurricanes Preview

I said that the Penguins would beat the Flyers in six and they did.

I said that the Penguins would beat the Capitals in seven and they did. However, I grossly underestimated the effect that a seven game series would have on me. So, let's not have another game seven, okay?

Now, I'm here to give you the straight dope (and a prediction) on the Pens-Canes series.

I gotta be honest, the only -- and when I say only, I mean ONLY -- thing that scares me about the Canes is that they don't scare me. Historically, that has been a good sign. But that doesn't mean that some unseen force could destroy my prognostication abilities.

Consider...

  1. The best player the Canes have is Eric Staal. He's not as good as Sidney Crosby. He's not as good as Evgeni Malkin. I'm not even convinced he's as good as Jordan Staal. Given that the third best player for the Penguins might be better than the best player for the Hurricanes, I'd have to say that swings the series decidedly in favor of the Penguins. There are only five guys that are allowed to be on the ice at a time, so if you hold a 3-1 advantage in talent -- in a sport where individual talent is a key factor -- that's a big advantage, right?
  2. The penalty killing for the Penguins hasn't exactly been great. But, the Canes have converted on only five of 48 power play opportunities. For those of you keeping track at home, that sucks.
  3. However, the Canes have also killed 49 out of 54 penalties, which is quite good. It's amazing, actually.
  4. BUT, something's gotta give. And, the fact that the Penguins power play has been improving the past few games, with them converting four of their last eight, the pendulum swings back to the Pens.
  5. The big things that the Canes have working in their favor are goaltending and defense. Well, we already broke down a great goaltender, so breaking down another one should only be a matter of time, right? And, really, how good can their defensemen be? I know that I am welcoming an evil, evil storm of karma, but I'm really curious. Can they stop all three of our lines with how well they're playing? I really doubt it.
  6. So... you're saying that this series breaks down to Marc-Andre Fleury versus Cam Ward? Who would you take in that situation? Yes. I'd take Fleury, too.
  7. "Cardiac" teams that keep hanging on, keep hanging on, keep hanging, then end up winning have a ceiling. They've already been in two seven game series and hung on to win both of them. Think they've reached their ceiling? I do.
  8. Usually, talent wins out in a playoff series. The Penguins have far, far more talent.
  9. I know that the Canes finished with 97 points, which was only two points -- or one win or two overtime losses -- short of the Penguins total of 99 points. But I really feel as though Dan Byslma has this team playing well, playing together, and focused on scoring goals, as evidenced by the upswing in shots on goal since he became coach, but particularly since the playoffs have started. With all the talent we have, it's really a numbers game: The more shots we put on net, the more we will score.
  10. But, the Canes did eliminate the #1 seed in the Boston Bruins. I have to say, though, that the Bruins did not scare me. If we drew Boston, I would have predicted Penguins in six.

I have to say that I am supremely confident of a Penguins victory in this series. They can't hang with our talent. Our offense trumps their defense. Our power play trumps their penalty kill. Our goaltender trumps their goaltender.

I really just don't see how this plays out where the Penguins lose and don't advance to the Stanley Cup Final (dear God, please don't let it be against the Detroit Red Wings). I just don't see it.

As a matter of fact... I'm so supremely confident, that I will buy (and wear) a Joe Flacco jersey for all Steeler games come football season. This confidence should buoy the fans out there. But, the fact that I'm not willing to purchase (and wear) a Ray Lewis jersey for all Steeler games come football season should foretell the shadow of doubt; the grey lining in my cloud of silver.

(Editor's Note: The Flacco Bet only holds true if the Pens lose the series, not if they fail to win in the predicted number of games. Also, if anyone, that means anyone, wonders aloud why I am wearing a Flacco jersey, I am allowed to scream, "It was a bet!" The purchase of a Flacco jersey will not represent, in any way, shape, or form, an endorsement of the Hated Ravens, or their subsidiaries.)

Penguins in Five.

No comments:

Post a Comment