Friday, October 16, 2009

Steelers vs. Browns Preview

As I've written previously, the Bengals are like the younger brother of the Steelers. We can hate on them, but, ultimately, we think that they're cute when they try really really hard.

To extend the metaphor, the Browns are the middle brother. We know their strengths, we know their weaknesses, we know where they came from, and we know how to handle them if they suddenly decide to get squirrely. In recent history, we've beaten them unmerciful.

We've won the last 11 games against the Browns. We kept them from winning the division in 2007 and we beat the mighty Kelly Holcomb in the playoffs in 2002. Between their rebirth in 1999 and today, we're 18-3 against them and the last time they beat us was October 2003. I had just gotten married at that point. That's a long time.

This season, they're 1-4, they traded Braylon Edwards for a bunch of guys that Eric Mangini likes, and we're 3-2. Last season, we won the Super Bowl. We've won two Super Bowls (seriously, we won Super Bowl XL and XLIII, don't know if I threw those facts out any point) since they last beat us.

Given recent history, I don't think there's any way that they win this game. I picked the Steelers in my Survivor Pool and I am not at all nervous. I think that we win, but I think it's going to be a close game.

I know they suck. I am aware of this fact. I'm aware of the fact that they defeated the opprobrious Bills 6-3 only because they put their closer in with the bases loaded in the eighth inning. I know that starting quarterback Derek Anderson was 2-for-17 with only 23 yards and an interception in their last game. I also know that they played the Bengals tough and the Bengals, whether we like it are not, are leading the division currently, they beat us, and they're 3-0 in the division. The Bengals are a good team, so help me, and the Browns gave them a game.

I would also like to add that the "rivalry" that exists between the Browns and the Steelers is mostly on the side of Cleveland. They hate us. We always win. We've won six Super Bowls and they have never been. That hate is valuable. That hate is palpable. That hate is something that Magini can use to make a game of it on Sunday.

I also think that the defense is going to need to adjust to the loss of Aaron Smith and the re-addition of Troy Polamalu. I think that, ultimately, Smith's loss is going to be our gain, but I think that's in the long term. In the short term, the defense is going to be disoriented -- even more than they've been thus far -- and they're going to give up gaps and make mistakes. In the short term, they're going to expect Troy to come flying in, but, in the short term, he's not going to be well enough and adjusted enough to do that. Everyone needs time when they come back to the office from a vacation to get re-adjusted and football players are no different.

I think that they score on us quite a little bit and possibly Joshua Cribbs scores on a return. But, I think that we're too much better from top to bottom to lose a game to a team that's crazed and pissed off and that's it. They're not anywhere near as talented as we are and that will prove itself out throughout the course of the game.

This game is extremely important to the Cleveland Browns, but it is also important to the Pittsburgh Steelers. They know how important it is to show up for division games. They know how important it is to not host Minnesota next week at .500. They know they can't fall behind the pace in the division.

The Steelers will take care of business on Sunday, but it won't be easy. It won't be as easy as the 14 point line (which is ridiculous, by the way) seems to suggest.

Prediction: Steelers 27, Browns 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment