Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Big Sports Day

So, nothing happened of any real significance with the Steelers yesterday, but it was a big sports day. Sure, they signed Keyron Fox to a two-year deal, which is good news, since he's the sixth linebacker in one of the deepest linebacking corps we've had ever, but it was nothing compared to the other stuff that happened.
  1. First and foremost, the Pirates actually won. And they beat the Cardinals. And they came back with three runs with two outs in the top of the ninth to do it. I don't care that St. Louis' closer is 15 years old and looked like he wanted to swallow his tongue throughout the entire inning. I need to celebrate the small victories. To be perfectly honest, I had assumed that the Pirates were going to choke, the Cardinals closer would gain some much-needed confidence, and it was going to be business as usual for the Buccos this year, starting in April. When Jack Wilson made solid contact on an 0-2 pitch and sent it soaring into left field, I actually assumed that the ball was going to be caught and was legitimately surprised when it wasn't. That's when I realized that I have been too spoiled by the Steelers and the fact that they've only had three losing seasons since Bill Cowher was hired. In that time, the Pirates have had two winning seasons and it's been 16 seasons since they last had a winning record. You see them lose year after year, you begin to expect it. You see the Steelers pull out game after game, year after year, you begin to expect it. We're all creatures of habit and tend to gauge what will happen in the future based on past experiences, so I'm not singling anyone out, least of all myself. What I am doing is saying that it felt awfully damn good to see that comeback victory and I'd like to see more. But, before we get too far ahead of ourselves, these are the Pirates. And history has taught me to proceed with extreme caution. So, pretty much, I'm going to enjoy yesterday's victory and figure that they'll choke one away tonight (provided they don't get blown out).
  2. I can't blame anyone for this, but I was going to put up a video link to Wilson's game-winning, three RBI double with the bases loaded from yesterday's game... and it's not anywhere online. It's not even under the highlights for the game at MLB.com. For highlights, that site has two RBI singles -- both by the Cardinals -- from the second and fifth innings. I'm not saying that I blame them, because who watches the Pirates or Googles like wild for highlights of the game, I'm just saying it's kinda sad. Especially since, when he made contact, Jack Wilson looked like he was thinking about that time in second grade when he pooped himself during the class play. If you somehow do manage to catch a highlight of that, don't listen to the broadcasters during the replay. They'll tell you to watch Tony LaRussa. Watch. Jack. Wilson. The expression on his face is just priceless.
  3. The Penguins seemed poised to get the sixth seed and probably won't do any better than the fifth seed. But, actually, I hope we play the Devils in the first round. I like our chances if we do. Then again, it seems a little crazy to want to draw Marty Brodeur.
  4. I feel like a jackass for ever doubting North Carolina. I can't think of a more dominant National Champion since the turn of the century. They smoked everyone in the Tournament and it never really was close. Everyone can talk all they want to about how the Spartans turtled and weren't ready for the big stage, but the simple fact of the matter was that UNC was the best team in the country. Oklahoma still has the best player, but Roy Williams led his team to ultimate victory and deserves to be commended. Especially being able to rally everyone for this year after their utter collapse (mostly Roy's fault) in last year's Final Four.
  5. Does anyone else want to see the Flyers in the first round? Me neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment